Congress has launched a number different attacks on local laws here in the District of Columbia in 2017.
- Senator Marco Rubio decided that while he's protected in the Capitol Building from gun laws, DC residents don't deserve the same in their neighborhoods.
- Rep. Chris Smith decided that the women of DC should be treated differently than the women in his home state of New Jersey.
- Senator James Lankford and Rep. Brad Wenstrup made the decision that even though the DC Council passed a measure on an 11-2 vote before Mayor Bowser signed it, Washingtonians weren't able to make their own end of life decisions.
- The White House submitted a budget that would deny DC the right to use locally raised tax funds to implement a locally supported program - our dignity in death program.
- Sen. Ted Cruz introduced a bill to force DC to spend local funds on alternative education.
- Rep. Steve King introduced a bill to undermine DC local labor laws.
We should all be able to agree that DC's elected officals are responsible for legislation in the District. The United States Congress should not continue to make residents here second-class citizens by applying their views to our laws willy-nilly.
In 2016 Congress attempted to change of over-rule DC Law 25 different times. Now in 2017 they are at it again.
Let people know that you stand with the residents of DC.